Lateral Ligament Stabilisation

The goal of the surgery is to repair and reinforce the ligaments combined with an early recovery program with range and strengthening.  A good outcome is achieved in more than 90% of cases.

An ankle arthroscopy is performed with 2 small incisions at the front of the ankle.  This addresses the cartilage in the ankle, removes inflamed scar tissue and bony spurs. The ligaments are then reconstructed through an incision on the outside of the ankle. The ligaments are stitched down in an anatomical fashion by reattaching small anchors in the bone.  If indicated, the tendons behind the ankle are inspected and repaired. The ligament repair is then reinforced with an anatomically aligned tape, which allows an accelerated rehabilitation. A camboot is worn and weight bearing is allowed from the outset.

POST-OPERATIVE RECOVERY

Please see the attached link for a detailed description. 

Initially allow 2 weeks for elevation. Then walking in a boot or ankle brace for 6 weeks, followed by a progressive strengthening and balance program. Return to sport is allowed from 3 months.

RISKS & COMPLICATIONS

The risks and complications will be assessed and discussed with you. There is always a small risk of infection, blood clots, nerve injury and anaesthetic problems and measures are taken to reduce these. Specific risk of Ankle stabilisation include a  5% chance of experiencing problems with recurrent instability, and a less than. 5% chance of stiffness. A good outcome is achieved in more than 90% of cases.

Lateral Ligament Stabilisation

All articles loaded
No more articles to load

Search drdavidshepherd.com.au